Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Day 3: Banana vs. Plantain

Until recently, I did not know that there was a difference between bananas and plantains. I thought that a plantain was another name for a fried banana, but they are actually two completely different foods. A plantain can even be considered to be a vegetable. Although the two foods look similar (a plantain looks live a green or over-ripe banana), a plantain is longer, thicker, and starchier than a banana.


Today I made food that surrounded these two different fruits/vegetables. For lunch I made an acai bowl (think of the former Happy Bowl that was downtown). It is essentially a thick smoothie that you garnish with granola, fruit, and other things. Super easy to make. 

They look really pretty too. 

For dinner, I made fried plantains. It was easy, although the very hot oil can go everywhere. 

It is strange how something that looks so much like water in the pan can boil and crackle and change the plantains. 

I am not sure what exactly the difference is in the taste of bananas and plantains, but it was interesting to see how the similar-looking foods could be prepared in completely different ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment