Saturday, May 23, 2015

Day 6: Parental Taste Test

Today, I felt confident enough in my cooking skills to make my parents dinner.

I made pasta with tomato sauce. It is a simple meal (and my dad's go-to) that I could use last night's pizza sauce in, but since I added extra ingredients such as Italian sausage and multiple different types of vegetables it became a long, multi-step process. Again, the problem I ran into is the extensive time it takes to prepare all of the ingredients so that they can later be added together.

Over this week, cooking has gradually started to appeal to me artistically. For example, yesterday when I made the pizza the toppings we used were in a great range of colors (red, green, white, yellow) that stood out against the off-white cheese background. Tonight, when I was cooking the vegetables, the colors stood out to me again. The conglomerate of vegetables in the pot reminded me of blobs of color that you might see in an impressionist painting.


Another thing I have learned is the positive and negative aspects of having extra people in the kitchen. Having people in the kitchen can be nice because they can help with the menial tasks such as fetching ingredients but they can also be aggravating because they are underfoot and putzing with things while you are cooking. 

I finished the meal by making the pasta and warming up some garlic bread. The meal turned out really well; my mom, the main cook in my house, called it "really good" and wants to add some of my ingredients into her future sauces. 


Today's meals have highlighted the importance of leftovers to me. Not only did I use leftover pizza sauce in tonight's dinner, but I used leftover chicken from a few days ago to make a chicken salad sandwich. 





No comments:

Post a Comment